Return to HitmanHQ
HitmanHQ Forum Index HitmanHQ
Home of the Hitman Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A great rain has washed the scum off the streets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a people problem. Whatever people do, wherever, they never look where they're going, they always assume everyone else will look.
Especially when shopping, people here complain about when the students come shopping the store is jampacked. The difference with older people though is that they know how to shop quickly. Never any jams in the aisles, never just wandering around wondering what they should get. No, quick striding through the aisles to get what they came to get. Stupid old people.

I can't remember when you were here but I seem to recall it was during an exam break when all the students are studying at home. At that time Leuven is almost deserted so you would have missed all the cyclers. During the year this city is a bikers' city.

And you're right on the Netherlands, they have a bad reputation when it comes to cyclin arrogance.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn it all down, I say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I read the comments of a youtube video, now I'm a fucking retard again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They turn a piece of video of Batman into a discussion on religion? Some people will do anything under the name of religion, like us! In a topic on religion!
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave God an easy opportunity to take my life and he missed it. What now God-man? You can't get me now. I'm in the CZ again; God-free since 1953.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the subtext on that first sentence? You once became religious or almost threw yourself under a bus?
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a bike accident in this tunnel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEE6gbvPDNI

With no lights. But didn't get hit by any cars. Still had to go to the hospital for x-rays and pain treatments.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you weren't somewhere in the middle, it looks like a long ass tunnel. (Coincidentally that's also what I told your mother yesterday)
Did you collide with the side?
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, somewhere in the middle of the tunnel.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the worst place to hit a tunnel. I hope you got out easily then.
Since you're so scarce with details and I have to pull it out you I'll fill in the blanks myself.

You were riding your bicycle like a managerial type of person. All of a sudden you had this crazy idea. Why not ride through that long Chezc tunnel! You might have forgotten your lights but that's not of importance, you have to cross that tunnel now that you're here right?
You enter the tunnel and are quickly bored because it's so freakishly long. You tell your friend who is cycling right behind you to look because you are going to do something cool. You accelerate a bit, start to mutter in an old man's voice "Use the force Daniel" at which point you close your eyes and think "I can almost see the exhaust port", then you mumble "Let go Daniel" right before you let go of your steering wheel. The last sentence you utter is "Trust me!" and then you harshly collide with the tunnel wall, flailing arms and bicycle parts everywhere. The next thing you remember is opening your eyes in the hospital while saying "Did we do it? Did we destroy the Death Star?". Next thing you know they're wheeling your bed to the psych ward.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're closer than you think.

We were up at 4:30 in the morning after about 2 hours sleep and many mosquito bites (sleeping on the beach was not the brightest idea, but not yet the dumbest). We wanted to cross over the souther ridge of mountains and head to the north coast, where we would spend the next night before returning to Hvar on the third day.

Unfortunately, people who make maps make shit up. Every map had a connection east which would get us across. None of these paths existed. There was a route nearer the tunnel that would go over the mountain, but none of the maps showed this. We only knew it existed from word of mouth by the locals.

Eventually, we were up at the tunnel looking for this path and just gave up, deciding to go through the tunnel behind the next batch of cars (we were also told bikers often do this). There is a 90 degree turn in front of the tunnel and a time-limit to get through due to the one-way traffic, so we couldn't check in advance what it looked like inside. This was a stupid move on our part.

We followed the cars in, and at first it was fine because the headlights lit up the tunnel, but it wasn't until 1/3rd of the way in that the cars were so far ahead we realized there was no way to see without lights, and ours were in the backpacks. I couldn't turn around in case there was a car coming behind, or my girlfriend were to run into me, so I tried to speed up as best I could and aim for the tiny speck of light at the other side. Instead, I hit one of the ridges along the wall with my left shoulder and fell down, hitting my head and elbow along the way. Somewhat thankfully, there were no cars coming and my girlfriend had also hit the wall a bit back so she didn't hit me. She had exited the other way since it was closer, while I was about 1/2 way through, so it made no sense to head towards on-coming traffic.

I got my light out of my backpack (which barely helped) and continued as far as I could before the cars started to enter the tunnel in front of me. There was enough space between the ridges for me to hold my bike and hug the wall without getting hit. I then continued out the other side of the tunnel and noticed that my head and arm were gushing blood.

I couldn't find a path on that side either that would take me back to the other side to find my girlfriend, but she got a ride through the tunnel and met me with a few injuries of her own, but no major blood loss (she ended up with a minor fracture around her right elbow, though). I was planning on biking on down the hill to a hospital to make sure there was nothing serious, but it wasn't long before the adrenaline and endorphins wore off and I realized I hurt a lot and my left arm no longer could move.

A nice Slovenian family stopped and provided us immediate medical assistance and arranged for someone to call an ambulance. They did a basic check, but had to send us to the mainland because they had no rentgen machine available on the island for the weekend. So they rushed us onto the ferry in 30 minutes via ambulance and then another ambulance picked us up on the other side and rushed us to the hospital in Split.

By then, the oil and gas which still had not been washed out of the wounds had infected them and it really stung. When the nurse scrubbed the wounds clean with no concerns of my personal comfort it was as though all the hurt in the world had been concentrated into the left side of my body.

The medical expenses weren't too bad, but the police fine was a hefty 600 kuna per person, which wasn't too pleasant. Still, they were kind enough to lower it as much as they could without violating protocol. Everyone in Croatia is so nice.

But now, just 8 days later, and I have partial movement again in my left arm, the scabs are mostly gone, and all that's left is to have the stitches on my forehead removed on Monday and I'll be like new.

Lots of text, see.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that sounds even worse than I imagined.
Did you have to pay a fine because it's illegal to pass the tunnel on bike? It's a long tunnel with alternating traffic from one side to the other? That sounds weird and annoying if you have to queue for a long time.
I'm glad to hear you're healing up nicely because it sounds like quite the ordeal.

Also, OMG, you have a girlfriend! Is she's croatian?
Geezer
Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow. Glad to hear you're alright.

Any lessons learned, apart from the highly specific (don't cycle through crazy ass tunnels with no lights and hurt yourself by colliding with a wall)?
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saepe: No, she's Czech

Geezer: I'm quite experienced with pain, but usually it's knife-related and takes place in the kitchen.

But lessons learned: Croatia is really nice. Croatian people are incredibly nice, and even visitors in Croatia are nice enough, while their in Croatia, at least.

Oh, and that Croatians don't care much for strenuous sports, and think that kayaking is too dangerous for the average human being.

And maps of Croatia are full of shit.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more: the south of Hvar island is full of Czechs during the summer season. It's like a warmer version of Prague, with clean water.

But still hope to return there next year or maybe the year after and do more island-hopping. I wholly recommend it to any of you. But don't tell your friends or it might get too popular.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking for a holiday location for me and my girlfriend but I'm a bit hesitant for those parts. But you would certainly suggest them?
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very clean, Hvar town and Split itself have nightlife if that's your thing (Hvar moreso), if you want quiet, there are the other islands. Food is fresh, and the farmer's market in Split (or any other town to a smaller degree) is great for cheap, immediately consumable fresh food.

From a Czech perspective, it's not too expensive, though anything that comes with service is more pricey (but you don't have to tip, as service is included in the price). Good local wines (beers weren't very good, but you shouldn't be drinking those in a wine country), good local seafood, their figs aren't to my standards, though.

As for sights, you don't need to spend more than 2 or 3 days in any one place along the Dalmatian coast to see all there is to see, but after that you can just soak up the sun and sea. If you go a bit beyond the tourist paths you can find a lot of peace and quiet, maybe even some privacy along the coats if you look hard enough (though I didn't get the chance, really).

Only thing is July and August are peak tourist seasons, so it will be far busier than when we were there. June was great, and I'm assuming September would be as well. May and October would possibly be even better if the temperatures maintained the upper 20s.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the elaborate reply. I'll look into it and talk it over with my lady.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go, let me know and I can try to give directions to recommended good eats, but it's difficult because the good places don't have websites (or at least not well advertised ones) and google maps has low-res shitty satellite photos. Maybe bing. They do a better job outside of North America, usually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HitmanHQ Forum Index -> The Agency All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: