Return to HitmanHQ
HitmanHQ Forum Index HitmanHQ
Home of the Hitman Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A great rain has washed the scum off the streets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomCo
Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco Cat wrote:
Last winter in Prague was exceptionally cold and unusually long. It was below -20 C one day. I got up early in the morning and went to the St Vitus cathedral for an Czech sermon and nearly froze to death half-way through. They don't have any heating inside, so it was just as cold as outside.

Probably my fault for just going in a t-shirt and hoodie though.

Whenever you swing by, send me an email or something and we'll meet up. I can grumble about the damn tourists with you while taking you to all their points of congregation.

Looking forward to it.
3 nights in Amsterdam, 14 hour train journey, 4 nights in Prague.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're planning a trip abroad?
TomCo
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saepe wrote:

Yep.
Nexus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prague was apparently flushed this summer, with only a few shit stains clinging on to the porcelain buildings. You got your whiskers wet, DC?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomCo wrote:
Saepe wrote:

Yep.

elaborate please, I'm trying to show interest in your stinking life
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it hasn't seemed that wet of a summer to me, but I come from Vancouver. There was only about 2.5 weeks of brilliant sun and heat, and then we quickly fell back into chilly temperatures. A bit of a bummer. This is all Al Gore's fault.

I got a business trip to Finland during the warmest part of the year, and that was really nice. I would've hated to have been in Prague during that period because the heat just stagnates and collects since everything is made of concrete and there is no coastal breeze.

Helsinki, on the other hand, had ports and water and lovely winds. Hard to find pot, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Mr. Alves, I have booked the time off for Portugal in November. I just need to arrange the flights now, which looks to be fairly complicated. Why aren't there any direct routes from Prague to Porto?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nexus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo, November! There'll be plenty of wind around here by that time, since you're into that!

I thought Porto was supposed to be one of the more connected ports for low-cost skylines, but I guess Prague sucks and there's nothing we can do about it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really. I mean, they're right next to each other (when put in alphabetical order).

You no longer living in Porto, I suppose I should be finding someone else's sofa to surf, eh?
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic:

I just discovered my coputer is infested with viri. It's proving to be a bitch to remove all of it. The worst part is the browser hijack. You can't do anything if your clicked links direct you to http://gay4cock.us damnit
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again more or less on topic:

We have this sensation in Belgium where tv rips off people.
Wait what, tv does what in Belgium?
They rip off people.
The worst thing is, everyone knows they're doing it and nobody does a thing about it. The government turns a blind eye and the more intelligent people just ignore it. Only older people and intelligently less fortunate people tend to fall for it (the former lose their retirementmoney, the latter lose the little they usually have).
What's the problem? Well this:

Whenever there isn't a program on they show "puzzles" like that with only one instruction 'add everything'. Sounds easy enough but it didn't take people long to discover that these things have very weird solutions (which they were forced to show at the end of every episodes if no one had found it). I don't know if there is an equivalent in your countries, I do know they had them in the Netherlands where they shut them down. And a quick google search showed me they have them in germany as well with topless women.

Keeping that in mind, I need to tell you about the "Neveneffecten" (which means "Side effects"). Neveneffecten is a group of four young men that makes tv humouristic programs. This time they wanted to make their programs relevant as well as funny. So last episode they decided to infiltrate the tvshows described above. They sent in a mole which filmed everything. Even those parts where they admitted to be robbing the dumb belgian people.
At the same time they found a computergeek to crack that code. And he did. Apparantly you don't only have to add all the numbers but you have to search for roman numerals (C, D, I) and add them as well. And you have to search for roman numerals hidden in other letters (N has two I's, T has an I and even 0 has a C) and add them as well.
But he found it and it all culminated in the mole's last show in which the geek phoned in the correct answer.

This morning the entire country is in choc with these developments Very Happy

It would be better if I could show it with subtitles but I can't find one. So I hope you get my message.

TL;DR: People infiltrated TV scam and made them pay by telling the world their secrets. At the same time they cracked their code and made them pay 4.500 euros (winning fee after solving the puzzle).
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you talking about this when I visited you. While the dishonesty is deplorable, the investigation and decrypting of the puzzle is interesting and would make for some good TV in the end.

Do they use different tricks with each episode, or is knowing the code enough to get the next one using the same technique? In that case they should just visit senior residents and help them out to get a retirement bonus, starting with the ones previously scammed.

I'm sure the program would change it before long, if it actually happened, though.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually used a different kind of puzzle after a couple of months to make sure they didn't have to pay up. Or not much anyways. Usually after someone would guess the correct answer they would cut to a Jackpot screen where you had to choose three coloured balls. If you could pick three jackpot signs you would win the jackpot, if not you got maybe 20 euros if lucky.

But all of this doesn't really matter anymore, in the aftermath of the described show, they cancelled (and are now banning) all phonegames on the television in Belgium. It did make for good television and had a great result.

The same show also addressed a different kind of scam here (they actually addressed several and even made it so that waiting time for telecenters of several telecom business have gotten remarkably shorter) namely the Belgian organisation for author rights, Sabam.
This organisation should collect money for every artist that pays them a membership fee when that artist's music is being played, art is being shown, writing is being read, ... from the people that do the playing, showing, reading, ... and then distribute it to the artist in question.
Thing is, they collect money for everything and don't distribute accordingly. If you were to plan a party with right-free music you can be sure to expect them on your doorstep for the money you owe them (which is in reality nothing).
In the show they addressed this by planning a party with music from several "unknown" artists that didn't really exist (and were named after household appliances (Ken Wood, Suzy Wong, ..)) and they had to pay a great sum of money until they showed Belgium for the frauds they were. Making people pay for artist they don't even have in their portfolio (and don't even exist).
Unfortunately this still exists Sad
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those groups exist in Canada and the US as well, unfortunately.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against author right organizations but they should behave less like a maffia and more like an organization that defends the rights of authors and artists.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you understand how making money works in a modern capitalist society.

1. invent problem that doesn't exist
2. invent position dedicated to solving that problem
3. market yourself as the most able body
4. create new problem and promote it as a solution to the non-existing problem
5. invest heavily in the new firm which is tackling this created problem.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you hurting your back while cycling? Try our new product, the back-unhurter!

Something like that?
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, in this country (maybe in all of Europe, who knows) you would probably have a large market. People here are serious about the image of biking, even though they can't bike worth shit.

Fat people especially love buying all the gear and glasses and expensive mountain bikes, and then ride the flattest, slowest route to work to avoid putting too much energy into the process.

God forbid they encounter an upward slope, or they might have to get off and walk.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgium and The Netherlands are the bike capitals of the world. People here use their bikes for everything. Lots of people also cycle just for fun and they actively look for the upward roads so they can hone their skill.
When I went to LA we rented a bike since that's the hip thing to there now. Thing is that none of the roads are adapted for bikes (they have huge roads where three trucks can ride shoulder to shoulder but no room for a bike lane) and it's actually death defying. It was still nice to cycle over Santa Monica beach, problem there were all the other people cycling because Americans can't cycle. They don't keep to the right, they hardly move forward, just enough not to fall.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see many bikers in Belgium, though the Netherlands was the worst place I've ever seen for biking, mostly becasue they've just replaced drivers with bikers, and they present all the worst things about a human in/on a vehicle: no respect for anyone else and overcrowded pathways.

I'm pretty sure I'm spoiled having grown up in BC, but the only only appropriate hierarchy as I see it is for pedestrians to always have the right of way. All vehicles get the fuck out. Pedestrians have their sidewalks, and all vehicles share the roads. If there is no bike lane, the bikes stay to the right of the slow lane and the cars keep their distance.

But I can understand that this is only possible in a land where bikes are not the primary form of transportation, because the roads would not be able to fit all the bikers and all the cars without accidents.

Multistory bike parks are as much an eyesore as car parks, maybe even moreso.

I'm really looking forward to be back at home with a bike and being able to get absolutely anywhere at neckbreaking speeds without regard for other bikers because everyone is too sissy to handle the mountains along the way.

Also, if you're getting around the city sitting upright on a goofy-looking streetbike you're doing it wrong and you're ruining it for everyone else. So everyone in the Netherlands were doing it wrong. You don't ride a bike at a jogging pace. It's not a leisurely activity. If you're bike is not appropriate for wheelies or obstacle courses, it's not appropriate for biking (though I don't do wheelies on my own bike, but I could if the necessity arose).

Argh, I hate European bikers. Maybe Switzerland is better. They have a biking culture and mountains too. Maybe it's just the biking culture that is a problem, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HitmanHQ Forum Index -> The Agency All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: