Return to HitmanHQ
HitmanHQ Forum Index HitmanHQ
Home of the Hitman Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My concise review of Hugh Laurie's "The Gun Seller"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: My concise review of Hugh Laurie's "The Gun Seller" Reply with quote

Dear Qers

I don't know if anyone'll read this but I'll try anyway.
I don't know if anyone has read Hugh Laurie's book but if you ever have the chance, I'd say don't.

I read the book and didn't like it but all reviews on the interwebs seem to be written by House-infatuated droobs who just drool over everything Hugh Laurie. This infuriated me so I decided to write this.

The book is about.. you know what, I have no idea. It starts of with an ex-army man who is gruff, arrogant and never has any normal conversation with anyone, it's just him shouting or insulting. His chosen mode of transportation is a motorcycle. It took me three chapters to be able to try and picture the character without a limp and a cane. The character is your typical Gary Stu, the only catch is, it's not Laurie's but House's.
The first couple of chapters have a Douglas Adamsy feel to them, random events become the character and he has to live with the consequences.
After awhile layers upon layers are added to the plot which as a result becomes completely convoluted. At the end I couldn't remember who were the real bad guys, who were the people who got suckered into it and what role the main character really played. Even when it concluded I was still flabbergasted and worst of all, I didn't really care what happened anymore, I just wanted it to be over.
The story is that of an arms dealer who has designed a new superweapon which he wants to sell, but to do so he wants to stage a terroristattack so he can show the world what his weapon can do. The mcguffin is a girl who is somehow caught up in all of this, and our main character is in love with that girl, eventhough he's seen her twice.
All of that sounds simple enough but add several layers of government, ambassadors and terrorist groups and you get one clunker of a book.

2/10
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read this book, but I will review it as well:

Read something by Stephen Fry instead. Not because this book is necessarily bad (but Saepe thinks so), but because Stephen Fry is good, and he hasn't started to pretend he's american yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Stephen Fry's "Making History" ages ago and quite liked it. But even so, I haven't gotten around to reading some of his other fictional work. I've also been meaning to buy his "Ode less traveled" to nurture the poetic side of seppe, but I fear seppe's unpoetic nature will ruin this intrinsic nature-nurture debate...
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish all people that came out of juvie were as clever and gay as Stephen Fry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that were so I don't know if I'd feel any safer on the streets, but by god, that sounds brilliant for the mind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HitmanHQ Forum Index -> The Agency All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: