Return to HitmanHQ
HitmanHQ Forum Index HitmanHQ
Home of the Hitman Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minecraft
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Minecraft Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying it, has anyone here played it?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
Short introduction to the blocky world of minecraft

It's a sandbox/fight the monsters at night/survival/crafting game
it looks awesome

edit: actually, it looks like crap but it seems to be awesome to play with
Alia Nexis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fad; an awesome, relatively cheap fad.

Oh, and I'm alive still.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping you'd be answering this thread, since you're the resident knowledgebase on funky games.
I bought it, and I'm digging it (pun intended). I've been clearing out an entire mountain and building things upon it and around it, it's awesome. Up until now, relatively few problems with the mobs.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been recommended this game a couple times recently, but I haven't bothered to play around with it because it seems like a strange idea to pay for a beta product, even if it's only 14 dollars in this case (better deal than Civ V as far as priced betas, anyway).

It sounds like one of those games where you're expected to make your own fun, though. I'm not good at those, because making my own fun usually involves turning off the computer.

And getting carried away with building up your private world one cubic square at a time might cause some heavy damage to your social life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nexus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civ V bummed the hell out of me. It made me feel old, I can only imagine the kind of poorly-chosen-cup effects it had on hardcore Civ I players
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Minecraft hasn't even gone passed the alphastage. To play the alpha and get all the further updates for free afterwards you pay 10 euro. When it reaches beta the price goes up to 20 euro.
And it is a really fun game. Usually I also get the bum end of the imagination deal in "do whatever you can imagine" - games but this time I find myself plotting new ventures before I finished the first, resulting in a couple of half finished projects all nearing completion. The fun part is you can easily do this because you can work outside during daytime and inside during nighttime.
The fact that there are still many updates to come makes it an ongoing challenge because sometimes an update means a change in game physics (the next update will make it so that torches are no longer an unlimited source of light which means I'll have to reignite all my torches for my hollowed out mountain or I'll have to start building lanterns which'll probably be more costly in resources).
And when I'm done building and exploring my piece of land, I'm taking my boat for an oversea adventure with nothing but a bow, a sword and some armour.

And after that I might try the multiplayer in which entire communities of people start living cities (or so the boards say)
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 1.5 years on, does your opinion remain the same?

Also, both dissimilar and similar at the same time, DayZ has suddenly made ArmA2 very popular. Have you tried that out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of DayZ or ArmA2. Can you shortly explain?

I'm still playing Minecraft, quite often actually. It's become my game to play while watching my series (I have a short span of attention and can't sit still for long times at a time so I play a game while watching House or Eureka).
The updates have kept on coming (the torches burning out update has never come even though a lanterntype block has been introduced) which has changed the feel of the game considerably. I play the game very leisurely, this has made it so I still have a lot to explore because the frequency of updates is faster than my playing style.
Still, some things have gotten stale. For example, the mining part is too simple, there are maybe 6 ores and they're all to be found in the same layers (1-30 from bedrock, mostly). Recently they added the biome Extreme Hills(!!), it would be cool if you could find some other valuables in these hills instead of always in the ground.
There's also a hunger bar now, meaning you have to have food on you at all times but except for the first day or so food is very very easy to gather. Maybe a plague or something could wipe out some foodstock to make this harder.
The same monsters also get kind of boring, I have seen some mods that diversify how the mobs look, so that every zombie looks different from the other, that could be nice.
The developpers (and Notch has removed himself from that team for a different game which also looks promising 0x10c) are now working on a mod api to make the integration of mods much easier. If this is finished I expect a whole new wave of minecraft goodies and inspiration.

All in all, it's still a very enjoyable game. Even for a while it is worth its money. One of the reasons is that there are many aspects in the game, engineers can engineer with the redstone, creative people can build houses, towers, spaceships, .... miners can mine, explorers can look for caves, strongholds, jungles, mountains and just try to survive while killing mobs and looking for goods. And those that aren't that easily defined can do everything at once.
I think maybe, the best part of the game is the multiplayer, in which I have only dabbled and nothing more. It makes it more of a group effort and with the right people you can make a cool community.

TL;DR: Yeah, it's still good.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I personally avoid these rogue-types as best I can, because I can barely keep myself focused on the necessities of my life and these games have the goal of just being played. Meaning there is no ultimate achievement to meet, so it goes on for infinity.

That's what I meant by ArmA2 and the DayZ mod, since they have no goal other than to survive in a hostile environment with no rules apart from those you make yourself.

ArmA2 = Armed Assault 2 (sequel to the spiritual successor of operation flashpoint)
DayZ is a mod that turns you loose on the entire map without restrictions, but with sparse caches of utilities and weapons and a large population of zombies, and it's all persistent server-side (you die in game, you lose all progress).

It's better presented here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

They're recording their first playthrough of an earlier version of the mod; many things are different now. A big part is that it's been overloaded with new players and PKers are rampant, rather than cooperation.

I haven't played it myself because:
1. rogue-type gameplay, and I don't have time for more games in my life
2. no option to host on a private server, meaning you're stuck with pubbies
3. overwhelming popularity on only a handful of servers means the feeling of isolation and tense atmosphere is lost in the frustration of just being spawn-killed over and over

If they didn't prevent people from hosting private games themselves I would probably bite the bullet, so maybe I'm lucky they don't. Still, I would have liked to play the game with a group of friends or with a small community of known people to recreate an experience similar to the one in the youtube videos.

The modder has gone on to join the ArmA development team, so now he's working with them on ArmA3, but still putting in dev time on the mod, so that's good for him.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very nice, but indeed it would be wonderful if you'd be able to play it on a private server. There should be a game like that that enables you to play on a private server, no?
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm saying!
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBSYit49c8&feature=player_embedded

A smorgasbord of mincraft, halo, starcraft, max payne, battlefield, and that flight-sim engine some independent coder was making that allowed you to enter and exit planetary atmosphere and will.

Only in alpha state, but looks really impressive and equally ambitious.
TomCo
Cleaner

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm playing a lot of dayZ with people on the games forum of boards.ie (they have their own server and voip).

Lots and lots of fun.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco Cat wrote:
this might interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBSYit49c8&feature=player_embedded

A smorgasbord of mincraft, halo, starcraft, max payne, battlefield, and that flight-sim engine some independent coder was making that allowed you to enter and exit planetary atmosphere and will.

Only in alpha state, but looks really impressive and equally ambitious.

By coincidence I downloaded this yesterday. Now I only have to find the time to try it.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly the game in its current state is barely playable, so it's just potential for now.

TomCo: is it a private server, or public? From what I read, anyone can host a DayZ server, but only with permission from the developer, and he has to have superuser access to it, and if he is unhappy with anything he will shut it down himself.

He might have a bit of a complex.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds douchy and a good way to not get your game to spread
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's done well despite. I think he might not want any pirates to have fun at his expense under any circumstances. Maybe spited by an unrequiting schoolyard sweethard, he stalked her home and watched from the bushes as she typed into IRC:

Code:

/ctcp FiLeMaStErLoRd
get wing_commander.rar

Ever since that day he has vowed to make her pay.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that joke is above my head since the IRC era largely predates me.
Disco Cat
Controller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joke is not in the code. Those commands would just start a download. The joke was the pun at the end with "make her pay."

That was why you laughed at that line, see.
Saepe
Cleaner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, that explains my complete surprising laughing bout indeed, thank you, good day sir.

(I still don't get it)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HitmanHQ Forum Index -> The Agency All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: